A very important PSA.
It’s about sex education, and reproduction, and it is very sharp indeed.
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
If you loved this book (and who didn’t!), then try these…
Frances & Bernard by Carlene Bauer for star-crossed lovers
Q by Evan Mandery for romance and time travel
After You’d Gone by Maggie O’Farrell for heartbreak
Possession by A.S. Byatt for literary romance
also i have discovered pinterest and it is my new procrastination love and if any of y’all have pinterest accounts you should let me know and i’ll like follow you and stuff
Vienna Teng, one of my favorite musicians, doing a mashup/cover of Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine When She’s Gone” and Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”.
Just fucking watch.
hey protesters if you have an up to date android or iphone mobile device you can get an app from the aclu called ‘policetape’ and when you take video of cops committing brutality against your comrades it automatically uploads to the aclu server, which means if your phone gets confiscated the police cannot delete the evidence. might be useful for some of you.
THAT IS AWESOME
Ad Campaign by Amnesty International Switzerland
Switzerland are always forward thinkers.
i have my own place with the person i love, and apart from the fact that the hot water cylinder is a bit small to indulge my long-shower habit, it’s a pretty lovely house and it suits us incredibly well. we have wireless internet set up now and most of our stuff is unpacked and arranged. i am currently sitting at our dining table with a basil & lavender-scented candle burning, listening to a Van Morrison record while i wait for my pasta to cook. boyfriend will be home from work soon and we’ll probably go to sleep spooning, then wake up and have breakfast together tomorrow. things aren’t perfect, and there’s a part of me that’s waiting for the other shoe to drop, but fuck i’m happy right now.
"In the year 1930, John Maynard Keynes predicted that, by century’s end, technology would have advanced sufficiently that countries like Great Britain or the United States would have achieved a 15-hour work week. There’s every reason to believe he was right. In technological terms, we are quite capable of this. And yet it didn’t happen. Instead, technology has been marshaled, if anything, to figure out ways to make us all work more. In order to achieve this, jobs have had to be created that are, effectively, pointless. Huge swathes of people, in Europe and North America in particular, spend their entire working lives performing tasks they secretly believe do not really need to be performed. The moral and spiritual damage that comes from this situation is profound. It is a scar across our collective soul. Yet virtually no one talks about it."
- Saudi student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Bangladeshi man is beaten by people out of racism
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Universities throwing racist ‘Fiesta Party’ homogenizing culture with extreme racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of racism when his sign language is mistaken for a GANG SIGN
- Anti-Islam posters run free on the train to reinforce racism anti-Islamic sentiments and Islamaphobia
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- People assuming Native american baby names are actually Native and have any meaning to any ethnic group when they don’t
- Here’s a whole collection of people saying racist stereotyping homogenizing disgusting stuff about Natives
- People protesting (Idle No More) defending Native people’s humanity are attacked with violence
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Member of the most glorified band in the world Paul McCartney made a racist white supremacist song called ‘No Pakistanis’ and everyone still glorifies him as a good person
- Racism in actual political campaign in Massachusetts against a Native runner portraying her name and image in a racist stereotypical inappropriate manner
- Indian Sikh school students protest for students who are banned from wearing their turbans in public schools in France
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- All of this fucking cultural appropriation
- Residential Segregation
I mean I’m pretty sure it’s racism, why?
It gets so much worse if you type in “Black people should be.”
this is very important
guys omgf these are my pals and they made this for a media assignment and im fucking choking please watch it its so important
Tres funny. Also Australian.
"People can be obese but metabolically healthy and fit, with no greater risk of developing or dying from cardiovascular disease or cancer than normal weight people, according to the largest study ever to have investigated this seeming paradox"
And there you go, any argument you have ever had in support of fat-shaming just flew out the window. TA TA
Of course fat people have been saying the same thing for decades. But of course anything a fat person says about themselves or their own health is laughed off as “wishful thinking”. Our own experiences are constantly being denied as “head in the sand” “it will catch up to you eventually” mentality. Despite those of us that exercise regularly and eat healthy, we’re told that none of it matters because we’re still fat -and therefore couldn’t POSSIBLY be healthy.
The sad thing about it though, is that people should not have to be healthy in order to deserve to be treated with human decency and respect and not have to live their lives stigmatized, bullied, marginalized, and shamed. People are deserving of equality and respect reguadless of if they are healthy or not.
Delightfully, (according to the alumni magazine) my alma mater is apparently performing an extensive study of ‘metabolically healthy obesity’ in order to differentiate types and causes of obesity—in large part so that healthy-but-obese people are no longer harmed by mindless, uninformed weight loss campaigns but also to understand how/why various bodies process nutrition and produce energy differently.
According to the numbers quoted in the latest report, at least 30% of obese people (even ‘morbidly obese’ people) are metabolically healthy and would be harmed by restricted eating and not in any way benefited by weight loss. The school is studying the biochemical relationship that different metabolic types have with different food types over a long-term program. Their hope is that they’ll be able to better identify how each body processes food and that instead of focusing on weight and weight loss ultimately nutritionists and dieticians will be able to provide information on how to feed each body type in order to create a healthy and beneficial state for each person—not so that people will lose weight as a rule. They also hope to sever the relationship, in the public consciousness, between weight and health because it is endangering lives.
Reblogging it again for Moniquill’s delightful addition.
There are just no words to explain how important this is. My boyfriend is a first-year medical student and his class is constantly being told about how obesity is a ‘risk factor’ for all sorts of co-morbidities like high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease. Meanwhile their learning on nutrition is miniscule. Everyone needs to understand that obesity does not equal unhealthiness, to at least put a dent in society’s worship of thinness, but a great starting point would be to get doctors to stop trying to guilt patients into losing weight because of ‘health benefits’.